Graduate congresses, company events, and specialist and industry job fairs always present a good and easy opportunity to make contact with potential employers, expand your network, and gather information on companies of interest.
Be professional in your preparation: The companies attend fairs and other events in order to make contact with you. Being well prepared makes a good impression and can lead to an interview at a later date. Be sure to go to the fringe events too. This often presents the chance to talk the organization’s leading exponents who are interested in making contacts too.
Tips for Career Fairs
- Check in advance which employers will be present who are of particular interest to you.
- Go well prepared and with a target in mind: Who are you? What do you have to offer? What do you want to know about the companies?
- Prepare your questions, e.g. on traineeships, entry opportunities, or application procedures, and make sure that you don’t ask questions already answered on the company website.
- Practice a brief and interesting introduction of yourself.
- Update your application portfolio and take plenty of copies with you.
- Dress in a way that is appropriate for this business sector.
- Be bold and approach exhibitors yourself.
- At the fair: Be brief and precise when speaking, and act in a friendly and interested manner.
- After the fair: Be sure to maintain your newfound contacts.